realism & commissions
left to right from top:
- Irish shore, 2015, 24 x 39" oil on canvas (Commission)
- Orchid after Heade, 2014, 10.5 x 13.75 in., acrylic on board
- Vivian, 2018, 40x40x15/8in., acrylic on canvas (Commission for Portraits of Vivian, a play by artist Stacy Harshmann)
- A Forest Grew Up Around Us, 2016, 11x14 in., chalk pastel, collage, and acrylic on paper, (Commission for Northern Woodlands Magazine)
- Zelde, 2014, 24 x 24 in. oil on canvas
- Amanda, 2014, 18 x 24 in., oil on canvas
- Pumpkin still life, 2013, 16 x 16 in. oil on canvas
The Story Behind the Orchid
I began this painting "Orchid after Heade" in the 1990's (yes, really) when I was inspired by a magazine ad announcing an exhibit of Martin Johnson Heade paintings. I'd never heard of this man, but I loved, loved, loved this painting, it's romantic, hazy, voluptuous, sensual view of nature.
I tore the page out of the magazine and began to work on an homage. Amazingly, over this period of time, I moved at least a dozen times, but I managed to keep the magazine page and the unfinished painting together. I finally finished in summer 2014, and am released from over ten years of self-condemnation over my procrastination. Those of you who know me know that I am not a procrastinator! so this was quite an achievement. Gratefully, it didn't take another ten years to sell the painting. It was purchased rather quickly after I announced its completion.
If you're interesting in working together on a commission please contact me.